History 1800’s

January 1, 1800

John Freeman

Scotsman, John Freeman sets up in business alongside the Penryn River. He aims to supply large quantities of high quality shaped local granite for use in shipyards, buildings, bridges and monuments, in this country and abroad.

January 1, 1800
January 1, 1800

Tremough Academy

Tremough becomes an academy for young gentlemen.

January 1, 1800
January 1, 1801

The First Census

The first census shows that the population of Penryn is 2,325.

January 1, 1801
January 1, 1805

HMS Victory

Lieutenant John Pascoe, from Penryn is serving on Nelson’s flagship, HMS Victory.
He runs up the famous “England expects every man will do his duty” signal.

January 1, 1805
January 1, 1827

The Swing Bridge

A wrought iron swing bridge, which allows sailing vessels to enter the inner harbour of Penryn, is built.

January 1, 1827
January 1, 1829

The Bible Christian Chapel

The Bible Christian chapel is built.
Bible Christians are a branch of Methodism and held simpler services.

January 1, 1829
January 1, 1832

Penryn Loses MPs

Penryn loses its two MPs with the passing of the Reform Bill.

January 1, 1832
January 1, 1834

Penryn Jail

Penryn jail, in this building, is described as having, 
“No adequate light or air and is unsuitable for human occupation” (the old jail door is on display in the museum).

January 1, 1834
January 1, 1839

The Clock Tower

The clock tower is added to the market house.

January 1, 1839
January 1, 1845

SS Great Britain

James Hosken of Penryn, captains Brunel’s revolutionary iron steam ship, the SS Great Britain on her maiden voyage to New York.

January 1, 1845
January 1, 1852

The Temperance Hall

The Temperance Hall is built, it is forbidden to drink alcoholic beverages on the premises.

January 1, 1852
January 1, 1863

The Railway Station

Penryn railway station opens.

January 1, 1863
January 1, 1867

The Penryn Advertiser

John Gill, bookbinder, printer and stationer publishes a free newspaper The Penryn Advertiser.

January 1, 1867
January 1, 1869

The West Briton

The West Briton newspaper reports that: “Penryn is flourishing with the town commercially in a very healthy state”.

January 1, 1869
January 1, 1872

Penryn Rugby Football Club

Penryn Rugby Football Club is founded.

January 1, 1872
January 1, 1883

St Gluvias Church Restored

St Gluvias church is restored by J.P.St Aubyn.

January 1, 1883
January 1, 1893

New Methodist Church

The new Methodist Church is opened on The Terrace, Penryn.

January 1, 1893